The natural tendency for many leaders when facing a communication issue is to skip critical planning steps and jump right into tactics. Unfortunately, by not being strategic, leaders can miss opportunities to more effectively engage employees or others – or worse, actually produce unintended negative consequences.
In this episode, Jesse shares a five-step process for creating an effective communication strategy:
- Mission/Measurement (outcomes)
- Members (audience/stakeholder)
- Manager/Champion support
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Discussion of Communication Analysis Phase vs. Communication Planning Phase is described excellently in chapter 6 of The Power of Communication: Skills to Build Trust, Inspire Loyalty, and Lead Effectively by Helio Fred Garcia
- Video: How to Use a Stakeholder Analysis to Identify Audience Members
- RACI Matrix: Useful for determining whether each stakeholder is Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, or Informed. See the explanation on Wikipedia
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at [email protected], subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.