Command-and-control leadership doesn’t work anymore — especially when it boils down to manipulating others for your own benefit. In the 21st century, great leaders strive to influence others for their good. True influence requires leaders to give themselves away. What is the major obstacle for effective leadership? Self-preservation.
Jeremie Kubicek is a Founder of the GiANT Companies and the author of Leadership is Dead: How Influence is Reviving It, and Making Your Leadership Come Alive (a Wall Street Journal and INC. Magazine bestseller). Among other lines of business, GiANT operates the global leadership events Catalyst and the Leadercast.
In this episode, Jeremie and Jesse discuss what it means to be a “True Influence” leader. And we’ll discuss a model for leaders to rise above the obstacle of self-preservation … a seven-action process that will help you expand your impact:
- Action 1: Give Trust to Become Trustworthy
- Action 2: Become Credible, Not Just Smart
- Action 3: Be Intentional In Your Influence
- Action 4: Break Through Your Walls of Self-Preservation
- Action 5: Pursue Relationships Before Opportunity
- Action 6: Give Yourself Away
- Action 7: Become Significant in Your Impact.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Book: Leadership is Dead: How Influence is Reviving It
- Website: JeremieKubicek.com
- Websites: GiantWorldwide.com and GiantImpact.com
- Leadercast.com: a one-day event broadcast live from Atlanta to over 100,000 leaders around the globe. The next event is May 9, 2014.
- CatalystConference.com: events and resources to develop the leadership potential of church leaders under the age of 40.
- Twitter: @JeremieKubicek
- Jesse’s other posts on Influence 3.0
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at email@example.com, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.