How do you move people from being passive followers doing what they were told, to becoming proactive, engaged leaders themselves? We’ll give you a hint: It’s not about being visionary or giving the right orders.
David Marquet is the author of Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders. David was the commander of a U.S. nuclear submarine when he decided to flip old ideas of command-and-control leadership on their head. He vowed to never give another order (except to launch a weapon), replace instructions with intent, and give the control of the ship to his officers and crew. In this conversation, we’ll learn how that worked out, and what business leaders can learn from his story about how and why to turn followers into leaders.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Website: www.davidmarquet.com
- Book: Turn the Ship Around!
- Ladder of Leadership: www.ladderofleadership.com
- Twitter: @ldavidmarquet
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/L-David-Marquet/423471681025176
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/davidmarquet
- Article: Why Motivating Starts with Using the Right Language (Ladder of Leadership)
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at email@example.com, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.