Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Horrible meetings are a cliché of the business world, and with good reason. Most meetings are a waste of time and don’t accomplish much, if anything. Everyone leaves frustrated that they could be doing something more productive with their time — and not only do your results suffer, so does your credibility as a leader.
Yet even though we all love to hate meetings, you cannot achieve results without bringing people together to make decisions and take action — whether in person, online, or on a conference call.
Karin Hurt returns to Engaging Leader, as she and Jesse discuss specific techniques to running meetings that are efficient, productive, and something people want to attend. Their conversation includes:
- The reason for roughly 90% of the problems managers have with poor performance,
- The importance of the 28-day rule,
- The six reasons people hate meetings,
- The two outcomes every meeting should accomplish, and
- The most important five minutes you’ll spend to make your meetings achieve results.
Karin Hurt is co-author of the new book Winning Well: A Manager’s Guide to Getting Results — Without Losing Your Soul. Her previous book was Overcoming An Imperfect Boss. Karin is CEO of Let’s Grow Leaders. As a keynote speaker, leadership consultant, and MBA professor, Karin helps leaders improve business results by building deeper trust and connection with their teams. A former Verizon Wireless executive, she has over two decades of experience in sales, marketing, customer service, and human resources. Her award-winning blog, Let’s Grow Leaders, has grown into a highly interactive, international community.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Book: Winning Well: A Manager’s Guide to Getting Results–Without Losing Your Soul
- Book: Overcoming An Imperfect Boss: A Practical Guide to Building a Better Relationship With Your Boss
- Online course: Results That Last: 7 Roles Every Manager Must Master
- Website: http://www.letsgrowleaders.com
- Twitter: @letsgrowleaders
- Facebook: /letsgrowleaders
- Engaging Leader 054: Humility and Leadership: How to Teach Confident Humility | with Karin Hurt
- Video: Winning Well Darth Vader Leadership Interview
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at firstname.lastname@example.org, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.