Culture eats strategy for breakfast.
Many leaders and aspiring leaders think their skills and strategies are what create impact, and that perks and parties are what create culture. But in reality a much larger part is created by the leader’s energy in every moment of truth. When you kick off a meeting or a conference call, when a problem occurs, when you’re asking the team to come up with a breakthrough in a short period of time … it’s moments like those when your energy shapes the culture of your organization. If your energy is consistently and authentically optimized for the moment, you will create the impact and culture you’re hoping for.
I recently read a book that does a great job providing an overall framework for creating an organizational culture that thrives, starting with how the leader cultivates his or her own energetic presence. And I realized the author of that book would be a great guest for a show on how to optimize your energy and culture in those moments of truth.
Anese Cavanaugh is the author of Contagious Culture: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization That Thrives. She provides workshops, training, and coaching, and has worked with companies like IDEO, Zingerman’s, Cooper, Joie de Vivre, Fitbit, Nike, and others to strengthen team health, maximize leadership impact, and optimize company culture. In addition to appearing in publications like Harvard Business Review, The Huffington Post, CEO.com, and the NY Times, Anese writes regularly for Inc.com in her column “Showing Up.”
In this episode, Anese and Jesse discuss:
- The Leadership Trifecta — Impact, Self-Care, and People;
- The three components of the Intentional Energetic Presence (IEP) Method; and
- Three steps to reboot your presence in 30 seconds as you head into your next “moment of truth.”
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Book: Contagious Culture: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization That Thrives
- Website: www.anesecavanaugh.com
- IEP Resources (including the Virtual Presence Guide): iep.io
- Column: Inc.com
- Twitter: @anesecavanaugh
- LinkedIn: /anesecavanaugh
- IEP Live Event: next session is Oct. 25-26 in Sacramento
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at email@example.com, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.