On the Engaging Leader podcast, we’ve often discussed why an organization needs to have a compelling purpose and vision, beyond just making money. There are so many reasons why it’s not only the right thing to do but also smart business – for example, having a purpose that excites people leads to strong employee engagement and a powerful employer brand, making it much easier to attract and retain top talent.
Our guest today will expand your mind for what your company’s purpose could be. For example:
- What if your company not only made profits but was also the key to fix seemingly unsolvable problems like environmental issues, obesity, opioid addiction, rising rates of anxiety and depression and suicide, or even the gaps between rich and poor, left and right?
- What if there was a company whose CEO said, “Let’s pay all our people as much as possible?”
- What if your company treated your family as stakeholders, and made it a priority to ensure that you can be present for them?
- And what if these businesses were more profitable and prosperous than their industry peers?
Such businesses do exist. In this episode, Jesse is joined by the organizational innovation expert Michael Gelb. Michael and his co-author Dr. Raj Sisodia, a pioneer of the Conscious Capitalism movement, wrote the new book The Healing Organization: Awakening the Conscience of Business to Help Save the World.
They discuss real-life examples of companies, as well as ideas for not only CEOs but also aspiring leaders to prioritize the welfare of all their stakeholders … and make your company a place of healing for employees and their families; a source of healing for customers, communities and ecosystems; and a force for healing in society, helping alleviate cultural, economic and political divides.
Michael J. Gelb is an authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. The author of 16 previous books including How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci, Discover Your Genius, Innovate Like Edison, and The Art of Connection: 7 Relationship-Building Skills Every Leader Needs Now, Michael’s books have been translated into 25 languages and have sold more than one million copies.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Book: The Healing Organization
- Website: healingorganizations.com
- Website: michaelgelb.com
- Website: rajsisodia.com
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We’d love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also provide feedback on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.