Rajat Paharia is Founder and Chief Product Officer of Bunchball. He is the author of Loyalty 3.0: How to Revolutionize Customer and Employee Engagement with Big Data and Gamification, scheduled for publication in June 2013 and available for pre-order right now. Back in 2005, when almost no one had heard of gamification, Rajat Paharia founded Bunchball. Since then, Bunchball has helped engage customers and motivate employees at a wide array of companies, including Toyota, T-Mobile, and ESPN.
In this episode, Rajat explains how Bunchball’s Nitro platform works, and how employee motivation has become the fastest-growing part of Bunchball’s business. In addition, he explains how loyalty has evolved since the original “loyalty programs” introduced decades ago:
- Loyalty 1.0: These are rewards programs focusing on “the deal” (think frequent-flier points, cash-back credit cards, and “buy 10 get 1 free” coffee cards). Once a better deal comes along, customers and employees will defect.
- Loyalty 2.0: These are more segmented and personalized, based on a customer’s specific demographics and buying habits, but still transactional and focused on “the deal” (think direct-mail and email coupons and ads).
- Loyalty 3.0: Combines social-science research about motivation, plus user-activity data, plus tactics that videogame makers have been using for years, to create persistent engagement and win-win value (think Amazon and Netflix).
“Shaped by big data culled from the platforms employees use every day,” says Rajat, “these gamification experiences use motivational techniques – like goal-setting, real-time feedback, competition, virtual rewards and leveling up – to keep users participating, progressing, collaborating and achieving.” These techniques marshal intrinsic and powerful motivators that exist in all of us: the desire for autonomy (to direct our own lives), for mastery (to improve), for purpose (to make a difference), for progress (to achieve), and for social interaction (to connect with others).
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Rajat’s book: Loyalty 3.0: How to Revolutionize Customer and Employee Engagement with Big Data and Gamification
- Bunchball website: Bunchball.com
- Follow Rajat and Bunchball on Twitter: @rajatrocks and @bunchball
- Eloqua press release: Eloqua Sees Customer Engagement Soar 55 Percent After Deploying Bunchball-Powered Jive Gamification Module
- Report from Aberdeen Group: Sales Effectiveness 2013: The Rise of #Gamification
To stay up on the latest news and trends in employee gamification, join the Game Changer group on LinkedIn.
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at firstname.lastname@example.org, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.
For the transcript of this episode: Creating Loyalty 3.0 at Work | with Rajat Paharia of Bunchball