Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Focusing on goals establishes a business culture of innovation and collaboration because you are measuring ongoing operations, not a single point in time. For organizations to drive better performance, goal setting should be done frequently, and should focus on just a few high-quality, high-impact goals.
BetterWorks is an enterprise goals platform designed to enable all employees to visualize both the inputs and outputs influencing behaviors. This includes communicating the value and impact of more strategic goal setting, tracking, and management to everyone. When you operationalize goal setting, your organization can more efficiently manage business performance and achieve the following:
- Smarter planning with increased employee engagement, motivation, and clarity of purpose. Your organization can spend more time deciding what activities should be accomplished, ensuring quarterly goals match the ￼strategic vision. At the same time, you can ensure you are enabling all employees to make progress on tasks associated with meaningful work. You have a gauge for how your organization is tracking to your business plan, and full transparency into where employees and teams are on track and/or need assistance.
- Increased visibility across silos. An enterprise goals platform brings transparency to the performance management process. Instead of goals being discussed twice a year—during goal setting in January and performance reviews in December—goal platforms provide on-going and increased visibility into goal progress (success and failure), bottom up, top down, and across teams, creating a more open culture that encourages collaborative problem solving and promotes faster decision making.
BetterWorks is designed to engage, empower, and cross-functionally align workers to set, track, and manage goals and become operationally excellent. Its built-in features support five key pillars:
- Connected. Goals are aligned vertically, cross-functionally, and with your company’s mission.
- Supported. Employees regularly engage with peers’ goals by providing relevant praise and feedback.
- Adaptable. Individuals refine goals and focus goals as priorities shift to get the right work done.
- Progress-Based. Employees update goals frequently so small wins are continually captured.
- Aspirational. Individuals remain motivated and challenged through meaningful stretch goals.
Kris Duggan is CEO of BetterWorks. Previously, he was founder of Badgeville. BetterWorks began with the simple, but deeply held goal of helping people feel like they are winning at work. Their enterprise goals platform, based on “Goal Science” thinking, is designed to engage, empower, and cross-functionally align workers. BetterWorks drives high-performing companies to become operationally excellent, and provide powerful insights about how work gets done.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Podcast: GC02: Badge of Engagement
- Website: BetterWorks
- White Paper: Goal Science Best Practices
- Article: Does Performance Management Make the Grade?
- Publication from Bersin by Deloitte: Guide to Performance Management Software 2015
- Twitter: @kduggan
To stay up on the latest news and trends in employee gamification, join the Game Changer group on LinkedIn.
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at email@example.com, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.